- Collaborative Divorce
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements
- Separation Agreements
- Family Court
- Order of Protection
- Parenting Access
- Domestic Violence
- Child Abuse and Neglect
- Negotiated Settlement
- Consultation and Review Attorney
- Modification and Enforcement of Custody and Child Support Agreements
An Experienced Advocate For All Family Law Issues
The Law and Mediation Office of Helene Bernstein, PLLC has been offering legal and mediation services in Brooklyn Heights, New York in the areas of divorce, separation, custody, child support, domestic violence, child abuse, appeals, and pre and post nuptial agreements since 1995. The office offers consultations in person or over video chat services based upon the client's needs and availability.
Ms. Bernstein is skilled as both as a mediator, collaborative attorney and litigator, which provides her clients various legal options on how to proceed with their particular goals. Ms. Bernstein is committed to the process of resolving her client's issues without the need for court intervention if possible through mediated or negotiated settlements while keeping the best interests of the child of paramount importance. In the event there is need for court intervention, in either Supreme Court or Family Court, Ms. Bernstein is a highly skilled litigator who started her career as a prosecutor for the Administration for Children's Services and later representing children in contested custody matters. She is also on the court approved presumptive divorce mediation panels for Kings and New York Counties.
Ms. Bernstein is committed to the practice of excellence of divorce and family law and is an active member of FamilyKind, Inc., the Family and Divorce Mediation Council of Greater New York, the New York Council on Divorce Mediation, the Women's Bar of the State of New York, the New York and Brooklyn Bar Associations, the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, Interdisciplinary Forum of Mental Health and the Law and the National Association of Divorce Professionals. Ms. Bernstein regularly moderates continuing education programs for the Family Divorce Mediation Council for the City of New York and appears as the attorney of record on appeals decided in the First and Second Department Appellate Divisions.
- Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York
- J.D. - 1987
- SUNY-Binghamton, Binghamton, New York
- B.A., With Distinction - 1984
- Major: Political Science
- New York, 1988
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1991
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1991
- In the Matter of Alexander William Khost v. Carla Ciampi, N.Y. Slip. Op. 7889, 2020
- Christina Giasemis v. Peter Giasemis, N.Y. Slip. Op. 5491, 2020
- In Re Evelyn B v Vishnu P.A., 170 A.D.3d 625, 2019, 1st Dept.
- Giasemis v Giasemis, 139 A.D.3d 794, 2016, 2nd Dept.
- Hogan v. Hogan, 159 A.D.3d 679 , 2018, 2nd Dept.
- Tornheim v Tornheim, 28 A.D.3d 535, 2006, 2nd Dept.
- Seleznov v. Pankratova, 57 A.D.3d 679, 2008, 2nd Dept.
Classes & Seminars
- Divorcing During COVID-What You Need to Know, Financially Ever After Podcast, 2020
- Mediating with Attorneys in the Room, Familykind, LLC, Interdisciplinary Forum on Mental Health and the Law, Family Divorce Mediation Council, 2020
- Maintenance Considerations in 2019, Family Divorce Mediation Council, 2019
- Mediation and Domestic Violence, Family Divorce Mediation Council, 2019
- Family Court Appeals, Brooklyn Bar Association, 2019
- Mediation v Litigation, FamilyKind, Inc., 2013
- Divorce Mediation, John Jay College, 2013
- Family Court Appeals, Brooklyn Bar Association, 2013
- Guest Speaker, Seton Hall Law School Family Law Mediation Class, 2011 to 2012
- Westfield Special Education Parent Committee, 2003 to 2016
- P.E.A.C.E Program, 1995 to 2005
- Brooklyn Bar Association, Member, 1988 to Present
- Brooklyn Women's Bar Association, Member, 2008 to Present
- New York State Bar Association, Member, Family Law Section, 1988 to Present
- New York Council on Divorce Mediation, Co- Chair of Public Awareness Committee, 2007 to Present
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, Member, 2006 to 2010
- Family Divorce Mediation Council, Board of Directors/CE Chair, 2010 to Present
- FamilyKind, Inc., Advisory Board, Mediation Consultant, 2010 to Present
- New York Divorce Mediation Council, Membership Committee, 2010 to Present
- Interdisciplinary Council on Mental Health and the Law, Member, 2015 to Present
- National Association of Divorce Professionals, Member, 2019 to Present
- Court Approved Presumptive Divorce Mediation Panels for Kings and New York Counties
Current Employment Position
- Managing Attorney